This year at college my creative aspect of my graded unit work included camera techniques, editing, using After Effects, Photoshop, a little bit of Protools and making a WordPress blog for my work to go up on.
I loved making the WordPress blog and I think that I will actually continue using it once I’ve finished college. When I first saw WordPress I thought it would be quite tricky to work but in fact its easy and simple to use just like most social networking sites. I made myself a header with my production company name and logo on it and made the background colour purplish, for my background I made it a photo I had took of my graphic novels and it went well with the purplish colour on the header I had set. The work I decided to put on my blog was my short films from my NC and HND courses, documentary reviews and a film analysis I had wrote this year, my journal entries for my documentary, my documentary, my short film and maybe my drinks advert too.
During the production stage of my documentary I got a little more confidence when using a camera and so when I came to shooting for my short film I done all the camera work for it which I really enjoyed and even managed to get some shots I really liked. The production stages for both went well but could have went a lot better, especially with the short film, if I had spent more time filming and not leaving it to so near the deadlines. Also, with my documentary I should have filmed a lot more interviews etc so that when it came to editing I would’ve had a lot more footage to choose from to include in the documentary and get the best possible story.
In my production and post-production stages of my documentary I created comic book graphics to include in it, I done this by using Photoshop and After Effects which has given me more confidence to use them in any future projects I will be working on.
When it came to editing my documentary I found that this was my strongest stage in the production and it was also the stage I enjoyed the most, it was nice seeing all my footage coming together. I was well organised with all the media files, which I found a good thing as my workspace was tidy and I could find the footage I wanted without needing to waste time looking for it.
I admit that once all the files were on Avid, I had a little trouble with deciding where to start i.e. I wasn’t sure how I wanted the documentary to begin so I thought it would just be best to review all the footage and determine what clips I would want in the documentary.
Once this was done I started getting an idea of how I would want the structure of it to be so I began putting a sequence together and eventually had a rough cut done. After the rough cut had been shown to the class and I got back to editing I took all the feedback into consideration, I duplicated the rough cut sequence and started messing about with the structure.
I think this was the strongest and most confident I’ve been when editing something, I had a good idea of what I wanted it to look like and what effects I wanted to add to it. If I was trying something a little new to me (i.e. the effects) then I would muck about with it to teach myself how to do it but if I did end up really stuck with whatever it was then I just asked my lecturer for help. I think my only weakness was perhaps time keeping, however I did manage to meet the deadlines.
When it came to editing my short film I really enjoyed it after learning new things on Avid when I was editing my documentary so I was excited to get started on the edit. I found that this was my strongest stage in the production, just like it was with my documentary. I was well organised with all the media files, which I found a good thing as my workspace was tidy and I could find the footage I wanted without needing to waste time looking for it.
Once all the files were organised into bins I began syncing the audio and video clips then putting sequences together for each different scene and after I done that I made a sequence as a rough cut.
After letting some people watch my rough cut (lecturer and classmates) I got feedback on any changes I should make and took it all into consideration for the fine cut. I then began looking for music on http://www.freestockmusic.com/ that would be suitable to fit in with my film. It was difficult to find royalty free music that would go with the mood of my film but I got there in the end, sort of.
My edit and short film as a whole could have a lot better if I hadn’t rushed it but I think it turned out quite good with the time frame I had left myself, but I will need to work on my time keeping for future projects to get the best possible end project.
Making my showreel was easy, I just had to put all the footage I wanted to use for it on to Avid then put it all in a sequence. I’m quite happy with it but it could have been better.